What is Stromectol (Ivermectin) used for?
Stromectol (Ivermectin) is an anti-parasitic medication. It is used to treat certain types of roundworm infections, such as threadworm and to treat onchocerciasis (river blindness). It is a type of antihelmintic, which works by killing the parasites that cause the infection. This drug may also be used to treat lice and scabies infections.
How should I use Stromectol (Ivermectin)?
Patients using Stromectol (Ivermectin) to treat their condition should take these tablets orally. These tablets are normally taken on an empty stomach, with a glass of water. Patients using this drug to threadworm may be required by their physician to have a stool exam, usually 3 times during the first 3 months after treatment to check if your infection has cleared. If you are using this drug to treat river blindness, additional doses may be required 3, 6 or 12 months later. Never exceed the dosage prescribed by your physician.
What are the side effects of Stromectol (Ivermectin)?
Patients who are using Stromectol (Ivermectin) may experience some side effects, such as:
Patients using this drug to treat river blindness may experience other side effects, especially in the eyes, such as eye pain or changes in vision. Other more serious side effects of this drug which may affect all patients include pain in the neck or back, inflammation of the hands or feet, seizures or unconsciousness. Consult your physician immediately if any of these side effects occur.
Strictly follow all instructions provided to you by your physician or pharmacist while using Stromectol (Ivermectin). Optimum and safe dosage can differ based on the patient and the condition being treated.
As this medication may be unsafe for certain patients, it is essential you always inform your physician if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, as well as if you have any allergies, other illnesses, or ongoing health conditions, and if you are taking any other form of medication, supplements, or herbal products.
Immediately seek emergency medical care if you have any allergic or hypersensitive reaction. Common signs of a reaction include hives, swelling, skin rashes, chest pains, as well as trouble breathing or swallowing.