Cyklokapron (Tranexamic Acid)
What is Cyklokapron (Tranexamic Acid) used for?
Cyklokapron (Tranexamic Acid) is given to patients suffering from hemophilia, a bleeding disorder. It is used to prevent bleeding when the patient is having a tooth extracted. This drug may also be given to patients with bleeding conditions to help control bleeding, especially after surgery or during nosebleeds or heavy menstrual bleeding. It belongs to a class of medications known as anti-fibrinolytics, which help the blood to clot normally, thereby preventing prolonged bleeding.
How should I use Cyklokapron (Tranexamic Acid)?
Cyklokapron (Tranexamic Acid) tablets are taken orally. Adult patients are sometimes directed to take it 2 to 4 times daily, however the exact dosage and length of time for which treatment is required is based on the patient's medical condition and response to the treatment, as well as the weight of the patient. You should never take this medication for longer than it has been prescribed.
What are the side effects of Cyklokapron (Tranexamic Acid)?
Patients using Cyklokapron (Tranexamic Acid) may notice some side effects, such as:
Patients must immediately consult their physician if any of these side effects persist or worsen, or if any other more serious side effects occur, such as changes in vision, numbness, problems with speech, pain in the chest, coughing blood, swollen limbs, seizures, painful urination or feeling as if you are going to pass out.
Strictly follow all instructions provided to you by your physician or pharmacist while using Cyklokapron (Tranexamic Acid). Optimum and safe dosage can differ based on the patient and the condition being treated.
As this medication may be unsafe for certain patients, it is essential you always inform your physician if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, as well as if you have any allergies, other illnesses, or ongoing health conditions, and if you are taking any other form of medication, supplements, or herbal products.
Immediately seek emergency medical care if you have any allergic or hypersensitive reaction. Common signs of a reaction include hives, swelling, skin rashes, chest pains, as well as trouble breathing or swallowing.