Udiliv (Ursodesoxycholic Acid)
What is Udiliv (Ursodesoxycholic Acid) used for?
Udiliv (Ursodeoxycholic Acid) is used to treat gallstone conditions and primary biliary cirrhosis. 50% of patients experience no gallstones for the following five years after successful treatment using this medication. It is however worth noting that it is only effective in treating gallstones which are small (less than 2cm) and composed of cholesterol. It is not effective in treating gallstones containing pigment or calcium. This medication is usually prescribed to patients on a weight loss programs.
How should I use Udiliv (Ursodesoxycholic Acid)?
Patients taking Udiliv (Ursodesoxycholic Acid) tablets to treat gallstones should take one tablet 2 to 3 times per day. If it is being used as a preventative measure, the normal dose is one tablet twice per day. Follow the instructions of your physician, and never take more than the prescribed dose. It will take months for the benefits of this drug to be noticed. Some patients may need to take it for upto 2 years. There is a possibility of having gallstones again, within 5 years after treatment with this drug.
What are the side effects of Udiliv (Ursodesoxycholic Acid)?
As with all medication, there is a risk of experiencing some form of side effect while taking Udiliv (Ursodeoxycholic Acid). Side effects which have been reported by patients include those listed below. If you experience any kind of side effect, report it to your doctor, doing so promptly if any persist or worsen.
Strictly use Udiliv (Ursodeoxycholic Acid) as prescribed and follow all instructions provided by your doctor. Safe, suitable, and optimum dosage can vary and is dependent on the patient's health and medical history, as well as the condition you are treating.
Udiliv (Ursodeoxycholic Acid) may not be safe or suitable for all patients. Always ensure you doctor is informed if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, using any other type of medication (including non-prescription medicine, vitamins, and supplements), as well as if you have any allergies, other illnesses, or pre-existing medication conditions.
Seek immediate medical attention or proceed to your nearest accident and emergency department if you suffer a hypersensitive or allergic reaction. Symptoms usually present during a reaction of this nature include difficulty breathing or swallowing, swelling of the limbs or face, tight chest, hives, and skin rashes.